Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Happy 4th of July!

We had a nice 4th, but the flu hit our house so our plans were not quite as busy as originally planned. 

Friday night we had a nice dinner with some friends.  We cooked out and the kids ran wild with sparklers, followed by enjoying some amateur fireworks.  :)  It was lots of fun.

But the next morning I woke up feeling not quite right.  By mid morning I was back in bed. 

Logan’s  presence was requested by his cousin Ellie to ride with her in the kiddie parade.  So despite not feeling the best, I dragged myself together, took some Pepto-Bismol and aspirin and went to the kiddie parade.  I “thought” I was feeling better. 

Then Logan started complaining of a headache minutes before walking out the door so I  gave him something to take and off we went.

IMG_4356

Aren’t they cute?  And so patriotic. 

Logan was all smiles at first.

IMG_4360

There they are, going around the track. 

 

Camden was enjoying the parade.

IMG_4359

 

But by the second time around, Logan’s smile was fading.

IMG_4363

And he had the look of “I’m done.”

So he hopped out of the truck and said, “I’m done.”  Even though the parade wasn’t done.

He opted to watch the parade alongside his lil’ brother then.

IMG_4365

They didn’t win a prize, but they should have—they were cute AND patriotic!

And they even had Dolly the Bunny in the back of the truck.

IMG_4364

It was awfully hot and HUMID, but I was still feeling somewhat okay so we stayed for some of the kiddie games.

The first one was a balloon toss that all the older kids lined up to do.

IMG_4370

IMG_4371

It was Ellie and Eli alongside Collin and Isaac.  Eli and Ellie were out in the beginning, and Isaac and Collin made it to about the semi-finals.

IMG_4377

And this is where the balloon slipped out of Isaac’s hands. 

But not to worry, there was more games!

IMG_4380

Even the grandparents joined in on the fun!

IMG_4383

IMG_4387

IMG_4392

Eli was chosen for a “fast game.”  They asked for all fast kids, and he immediately jumped up and raised his hand.

And boy, he sure was fast!

IMG_4394

And put everything he had into winning this game! 

And they won!

Then the hula hooping contest came.  Isaac was the only one who jumped up to do this.

IMG_4397

 

It was about this time that I started feeling pretty crummy again.  Logan also gave me a look that he was ready to go.

IMG_4367

So home we went. 

I went to bed for the rest of the afternoon.

Then I pulled myself together, once again, for my kids (it’s amazing the things us moms do for our kids!) because it was the night of the fireworks.

IMG_4399

IMG_4400

IMG_4403

Don’t they look absolutely THRILLED?!?!?!  Ha, ha! :)

IMG_4408

Even Camden stayed awake for them.  Logan was cold, tired (and I don’t think feeling the best ) and just wanted to go home.  :)

We all slept VERY well that night.

But the fun was not over with.  The next day, Sunday the 4th, was the annual parade day.  No one was sick (I felt SO much better) so we headed up to the square to watch the parade.

We tape a large amount of squares on the road and then sell them for 5 bucks each.  If a horse poops in a square, that person wins the money.  If no horse poops in any of the squares, then the money is donated to the local food pantry. 

No horse pooped in the squares this year.

IMG_4409

IMG_4410

These are my two sisters and my niece.  I love them, but they made me feel quite left out by not giving me the memo about the matching shirts.  (although I’m not one for dressing alike anyways, so not sure I would have done it even if I had known—I just wanted to make them feel guilty for not telling me.)

This is Camden with Auntie Becky:

IMG_4412

 

Yes, these are our boys waving frantically for candy.

IMG_4417

 

This is my nephew Will, who looks a bit unsure of the whole parade thing. :)

IMG_4419

After the parade was over, we went to Grandpa and Grandma’s for some pool time and a GREAT dinner, followed by a TERRIFIC dessert (thanks again, Mom).

IMG_4420

Camden really enjoyed his raspberry sorbet. :)

IMG_4429 

 

On  Monday we had another one down and out with the flu, so we just stayed home and rested. 

So despite the flu, we had a great weekend!

Happy 4th of  July!

No comments: