Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Camden’s little party

We celebrated a lot smaller this year for Camden’s birthday than we did last year, which is just fine.  Not every year needs to have a big party.  We’ve realized over the years that spending quality time with our kids on their birthdays is much better than lots of presents or a big party.  And actually, the kids have come to look forward to this more than a big party or lots of presents.  So we always do something special (or go somewhere special) as a family on their birthdays.

Since we were in the Dells on Camden’s birthday and I was not transporting an allergen-free cake up there (because packing all the food was enough), he did not have an actual birthday cake on his birthday.  We waited and had a small celebration when we got home.

I did put my all into his cake though.  I wanted to make him a special cake and the other boys helped me decide on a red velvet cake.  They had been eating red velvet yogurt that they loved and figured the actual cake must be really yummy! :)  Of course, it had to be “safe” for Camden.  I found a recipe and attempted it.  It was a process.  One that I don’t think I’ll attempt any time soon.  EVERYTHING had to be made from scratch.   It was very time consuming.

IMG_4647

Three different flours were used to make the cake work.  It took me two days to complete the cake.  I even had to make marshmallow cream from scratch because the regular stuff has eggs in it. 

Needless to say, he did love the cake.  But I’m afraid his body didn’t handle the cake very well (which is a whole nother story).  :(

IMG_4659

Of course, the cake had to have a cow on it.  They’re Camden’s favorites!

IMG_4661

He loved that the cake was for him.  He kept pointing to it saying, “Cake.”

IMG_4663

IMG_4665

Hey Joy, notice the outfit?!?!?  :) 

IMG_4667

Eli helped blow out the candles because Camden was a little unsure.

IMG_4669

IMG_4670

IMG_4671

YUM!  He certainly enjoyed every bite of that cake.

IMG_4672

IMG_4676

He had lots of  help opening his presents.  :)

IMG_4674

Thanks to everyone who celebrated with us. 

Happy Birthday, Camden!

No comments: