Dear Isaac,
You are officially 11 years old. As I was thinking back on where I was 11 years ago, I was remembering some of my feelings about having my first baby. I remember the great amount of responsibility I felt. God had blessed us with you and you were ours, our very own to teach, to raise, to nurture. I remember feeling very overwhelmed at the big picture of responsibility.
And now, look at you. At 11 years old, I am proud of who you are becoming. Every day you seem to give me a glimpse of who you will grow up to be. I see a boy growing into a young man. You are growing up so fast!
You are such a huge help to me with your younger brothers. I know I can always count on you, even when you’d rather run off and do your own thing. You always first stop and address whatever need there is.
Looking back at your 11 years thus far, I am both saddened and anxious. I am sad when I think of how fast these 11 years have gone. I have enjoyed every moment of watching you become who you are today. Yes, even all those sleepless nights at the beginning. :) I am anxious for what God has in store for you. I see how you’re growing up and some days I’m anxious to see you in a few years. But then I remember to just enjoy every moment now. Because those days will all come way too fast.
For your 11th birthday I caught little glimpses of the fact that you’re growing up. It was the first birthday where you didn’t ask for a particular type of birthday. In years past, part of the excitement of your birthday approaching was choosing the type of birthday you were going to have (your first birthday was Veggie Tales; second was sports; one was Star Wars; another one was Thomas the Train). This year I never heard you ask for a “type” of birthday. We didn’t buy any special character plates or table cloth. This was a sign that you’re growing up.
We celebrated by going to the Discovery Museum with some friends and Grandma. You opened your gifts from us in the morning and from Joy. You received Legos (surprise!) and Joy got your tons of football cards. As we were pulling out of the driveway and you and Eli were in the back trading cards already, you said, “This already is my best birthday every!” That made me smile.
In the evening we had a party and favorite Cousin C spent the night. You watched your first Indiana Jones movie (to which I kept thinking it was way too violent and scary), but I had to let go and realize you are growing up.
Isaac, as always, I am looking forward to this year ahead. 11 years. What will it bring us? What new challenges will we face? What obstacles will we overcome? What things will be celebrate? What special memories will be made? I do not know, but I welcome them and look forward to them.
I remember being upset with Dad 11 years ago because he had to watch March Madness while I was in labor with you at the hospital. Now, 11 years later, you are the one who is asking to turn on March Madness and following your bracket. You are the one telling Dad who’s winning and who’s losing. It’s ironic how life changes and as it does, our roles change.
I love you, Isaac. Your name means laughter and you have brought us so much laughter over the years. Just today you had your nose buried in a book (which is common for you) and I asked you to put it down and play with Cousin C because he would be leaving soon and you could read when he was gone. You told me you were still playing while you were reading. I said, “But you’ll finish that book while he’s here and have nothing to do when he’s gone.” To which you replied, “Then I’ll just reread the book.”
Happy Birthday, Son!
Isaac at the Discovery Museum. He was using his arm strength to pull the rope which made the chair go up then.
Logan pulling himself up.
Camden wondering why he’s stuck in the stroller the whole time.
Isaac helping Logan ring the bell on the ship.
Eli and David loved running on this wheel like hamsters a little too much.
Isaac, Logan and Mom stuck in a bubble.
Isaac’s request for cake was his favorite Oreo Cookie Cake.
Camden enjoying his “special” cake.
Opening gifts. Cousin E dressed up in her party outfit for the occasion. Doesn’t she look nice?!?!?
No comments:
Post a Comment