Camden's allergist appointment at Children's was yesterday. Not too much new stuff to report. Dummy Mom gave him Benadryl the night before and apparently they have to be off of Benadry for at least 48 hours before allergy testing. Argh! I was told this weeks ago when I called to make the appointment and totally forgot. Camden had had two really bad nights where his ears really seemed to be bothering him. He wasn't sleeping longer than three hours. I gave it to him to get some sleep and help stop the itching! Oops! So we have to go back in two weeks. The allergist would like to test him for some environmental allergies--mainly animals and dust mites.
Camden's ears have gotten really bad. The allergist said he's never seen a problem in that part of the ears. And he's seen lots of different rashes! The problem is that it's gotten so bad that it's now turned into a staph infection. He gave us a prescription for some ointment to use on his ears to help clear up the staph infection. As to what's causing the itchy ears, we don't know. It's either the allergen foods I'm still eating and Camden's consuming through my breastmilk or an environmental allergy.
He strongly suggested I eliminate the other allergen foods (wheat, egg, tomato, cod, tuna) to see if it helps Camden. I responded to that by leaving there and going to the store and buying a bottle and formula! I just don't think I can do that. I feel terrible saying that because Camden will have to avoid those foods, but at least he gets to start from scratch. I'm 31 years old and have eaten whatever my whole life! I have learned to live with no dairy or dairy substitutes, but I just don't think I can do everything else. Camden did not take the bottle well. My mom tried giving it to him and then I tried. No luck! He screams when he sees it. I wasn't going to nurse him at all until he took SOME of the bottle, but after 5 1/2 hours, I gave in. I had so much to do and it wasn't the best day to attempt this. I am going to take a day very soon and anticipate him starving himself but just not give in until he takes the bottle. They say babies will eventually eat when they're hungry. I will believe that he will eventually take the bottle. I will anticipate it being a hard day of watching him cry. But I also know that this is what may be best for him.
Camden's ears already look so much better this morning. He was still up a lot last night though. In time.
June 2nd is our appointment for the allergy testing. And I now know not to give him any Benadryl for three days prior!
On a much better note, I did attempt to feed him some solid food the other night. I figured I would at least try every day. I wouldn't force him. I would just offer it. And guess what? He actually OPENED his mouth up and ate it!!!! Woo hoo!!!! He ended up eating half the jar of squash! Hooray! I was sooooo happy! I quit as soon as he wasn't opening up his mouth anymore. I tried again last night and got the same results. I pray that this is opening up a new door and we're on the road to eating solid foods!
On a not much better note, he has thrush AGAIN. We battled this in the beginning months and it was so hard to get rid of. It's back! Ugh. This is just another reason that I feel like I should wean him. I can't go down this road again! Camden has an overgrowth of yeast (probably from that month of being on antibiotics) and we need to get rid of it. I am giving him a probiotic but it's hard to get it in him every day when he wasn't eating. I'm hoping now that he's starting to eat food, it will be easier.
Keep praying! It's helping. I'm seeing some improvement in him. As of right now, I'm cancelling the ENT appt. for Monday. That was mainly to check out his swallowing problems, but he has been swallowing fine the past two days with his food.
He has also attempted to put some table foods in his mouth. This hasn't gone well at all. He threw up repeatedly after a small bite of a cracker. I just think he's not ready for that yet. I was proud of him for putting it up to his mouth and trying though. Hard to believe that this little guy will be 10 months old in five short days....
Have a good weekend! Tomorrow is my big rummage day down in Illinois with my mom and sisters. We call it the Motherload Rummage! Isaac has decided to join us this year. We'll see how he enjoys a day with all the girls--of course, his lil' baby brother will be with and his boy cousins. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment