First of all, I am so blessed by all the phone calls, e-mails, FB messages, text messages from everyone. So many people were praying and showing so much concern for Camden. It makes me feel so blessed.
Camden did very well. He will be uncomfortable for a few days, but the worst is behind us.
We arrived at 9:15 and we were escorted right away to our little room for the morning. Camden’s vitals were taken and wristbands put on and he was dressed in his lil’ hospital gown. We were told the wait wouldn’t be long because Camden was first on the doctor’s list. At about 10ish they came to give Camden his enema. He needed to be “cleaned out” for the sigmoidoscopy so they could get the biopsy and see in there. The first enema did nothing for Camden, so they had to give him a second one. The second one helped a little more, but not as much as they had hoped. At that point it was past 10:30 and the doctor said they would proceed as is. Camden was given some medicine to make him a little sleepy but not put him to sleep. It helps relax Camden so that he’s not screaming and upset when they take him away from us. We basically saw a drunk Camden. :)
The anesthesiologist came in to ask questions. We found out that the anesthesia medicine has egg in it. They kept asking us if he was allergic to the egg white or egg yoke and how bad it was. So they had to find a different anesthesia medicine to use, but apparently there’s a shortage in our country of the medicine that does not have egg in it. We got the last one in Children’s Hospital! Thank God. I do not need to deal with an allergic reaction on top of recovery. She also told us a breathing tube would be inserted while he was under the anesthesia. Great, I thought, another thing being stuck down him!
Then the nurse came in and said, “Okay, Camden, say goodbye to Mom and Dad.” Whew….that was tough. I wanted to scream “No, don’t take him, he’s mine!” I had to hold back the tears and tell myself to be tough. The GI doctor came in and explained the procedure to us and asked us if we had any questions. We had lots of questions! He answered them all. And then they were gone. It was 11:00 a.m.
We waited. About 30 minutes later, the doctor came back and said everything went well. He brought him some pictures to show us the inside of Camden. Everything looked good. I was relieved…..at first. The doctor, once again,answered any questions we had and we talked about where to go from here. We will find out the biopsy results in 7-10 days.
And then we waited for Camden to wake up. And waited. And waited some more. Finally at 12:05 p.m., an hour and five minutes after he was first taken away, they wheeled him back in to the room. What a sight he was! Groggy-eyed, swollen, fat and bloody lips, IV stuck in his arm and wrapped a gazillion times. It broke my heart. He saw me and tried immediately to sit up, but was caught on the IV cord. I picked him up and held him so close. He cried and cried and cried. He was so hoarse it was awful. They had trouble getting the IV in so it was located in a weird spot and they had it bandaged up a ton along with a splint thingy in it to prevent him from bending his elbow. It was also on his right hand which is the hand he sucks so he couldn’t get his fingers in his mouth and this upset him even more. Then he started coughing and his cough was real barky (a side effect of the tubes in his throat). And that’s when I got mad. I mean boiling mad. I was fuming. I was mad that we had put Camden through this suffering when everything was fine inside. I felt like we had just done something pointless and made Camden suffer. I kept picturing the happy little boy that he had been that morning, and then I would look at the little boy in my lap and grrrrr……..
He cried on and off for 30 minutes. He drank a little bit but he had some trouble swallowing it. Then he fell asleep again. And we waited some more. We were allowed to leave at 1:15 p.m. Camden was still sleeping then, but he had tolerated the water okay so they felt we were okay to leave. That and we convinced them that we were okay to leave, we wanted to get out of there! You can only spend so much time in a room the size of a large closet!
Camden will be uncomfortable for a few days. His throat is irritated so he’s hoarse and he’ll have that cough for a few days too. Once we get the biopsy results, we’ll decide where to go from there—depending on what they show, if anything. The GI talked about putting Camden back on his Prevacid to control the flare-ups he does have from time to time, but I don’t think I want to do that. He also talked about doing a PH probe for 24 hours to see how often he’s refluxing and how acidic it is and if it causing inflammation. I don’t really think we’ll do that though. Camden doesn’t reflux every day so what if the probe is put in during a time when he’s not refluxing. Plus, that doesn’t give us anymore answers besides yes, he’s refluxing and here’s how much. Camden also has constipation issues. Apparently he has quite the backup of poo inside him, even when two enemas were given to him. GI said to give him prune juice and if that doesn’t help, then he’ll prescribe a medicine for that. I’m not too keen on that idea either. We don’t need anymore medical bills to deal with. It’s too much. Josh and I looked at each other and said, “Enough.”
Camden has been sleeping since we got home, but I think I hear a hoarse little voice so I’m going to sign off. Thank you everyone for all your prayers! We appreciate them so much! Camden was such a trooper.
No comments:
Post a Comment