Saturday, April 10, 2010

Strep and tonsils

Yesterday I took the boys to the doctor and it was confirmed that Isaac’s strep is back. Poor guy suffered so bad on Thursday, spending most of the day in bed because every time he got up, he felt worse.

The doctor also said she would like his tonsils to come out. This is something I’ve been wondering too—his tonsils have always been HUGE (and we thought maybe he’d outgrow it), not to mention that because they’re so huge, he’s constantly mouth breathing and I think this effects his speech. So we’ll be scheduling an ENT appointment for him.

Camden also was tested for strep because he had similar symptoms (high fever, rash, not eating/drinking, diarrhea) and it was positive. There goes the theory the doc originally told me, “Camden most likely won’t get it because kids under three usually don’t, and if they do, it’s very mild.” Ha, ha, ha! Figures Camden would prove that wrong!

Isaac has been on the antibiotic for 24 hours and he’s 90 percent better. It’s amazing how fast that medicine works!

Camden, on the other hand, had an awful night. We pretty much didn’t sleep from 2 a.m. forward. Every time I tried to lay down with him (or even recline a bit in the chair), he’d cry. He was even saying, “ow, ow, ow.” He’s only had one dose of the antibiotic, but I truly believe his “ow” is because of his reflux. Especially because he says it when I go to lay him down. A classic symptom of his reflux. It would make sense that his reflux would flare up now. One, he’s sick. And two, he’s had a high fever, which triggers the reflux because body temp and the reflux are on the same nerve root.

I tried to get him in to the chiro yesterday, but it didn't work out due to his doctor appointment. Now we have to suffer through the weekend. I am going to try upping his aloe vera juice to see if that helps to soothe.

Every virus hits Camden and everything is worse for him. (If I could punch something or scream here to show my frustration, I would.)

So, once again, all your prayers are appreciated.

Meanwhile, I will be searching the Internet for a bubble suit in Camden’s size.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Awww, Steph...I'll be praying!! Does Camden do any better during the summer or not really? We definately need to go out! Let me know when you have a free night...I still wanna try that white chocolate mocha ;)