Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Raising Chickens

I’ve shared this with so many of you in REAL LIFE that I figured it was worth a blog post.

We want to raise chickens!!!!

As you know,  our oldest started an egg business, which is starting to blossom.  My only regret is that it is at Grandma’s house and she is responsible for so much of it.  Although, I don’t think she really minds.  Through this business of getting chickens, I’ve seen how much  my boys really enjoy it.  Eli has a chicken named Chicken Little.  He loves this bird!  He’s taught it “tricks” like walking on a broom stick.  When he is at Grandma’s, he’s usually carrying around Chicken Little, tossing him into the air and then picking him up and doing it again.  It really is quite a sight to watch him with this chicken!  He also really wants a duck.

Josh and I have been tossing around (joking really) about how we should get our own chickens.  This “joke” is becoming more of a reality though and something I think we should really do.  We’ve even tossed around raising turkeys.  This became more of a reality a few weeks ago.

Some of you know that we *thought* Camden had a chicken allergy.  Months ago he had a few pieces of chicken and it did so much damage to his stomach.  So we assumed chicken allergy.  In talking with the chiropractor at one point about this, she asked if we had tried organic chicken.   No, it was not  organic chicken.  She suggested we try it because her daughter had a bad reaction to chicken but was okay with organic chicken.  Apparently, they add arson to the chicken feed to help with bacteria or something.  Organic chickens would not be fed this.

Well, I wasn’t willing to risk trying chicken again with Camden because it was that bad of a reaction…..that is, until a few weeks ago.  I decided to buy some organic chicken—which, ouch, what a price difference!  Organic chicken is $5 to $6 MORE a POUND!  Times that by feeding 6 people. 

I only fed Camden a few bites because I was so nervous, but there was no reaction.  I was so excited!!!!

So now you see why I think we should raise chickens.  Camden did not react to the actual chicken protein but to all the poison they put in chickens!  Scary really because you wonder what that is doing to the inside of our bodies.

Now is the worst time to bring this up to my husband because all he is thinking about is work, work, work, but I am getting excited thinking about doing this.  The boys are too.  I’ve explained to them that they wouldn’t be for pets; they would be for meat.  And they’re okay with this.  We’ve learned of a place not too far that will butcher them for us rather cheaply (because Josh does NOT want to do this part); otherwise, Eli is anxious to learn how to do that and any other family who wanted to could. 

The only thing preventing me from getting some now is the need for a coop.  We need to lock these lil’ guys away at night so no animals eat them. 

Just another reason to go organic!

2 comments:

Cousin L said...

You should talk to Aunt M and Uncle D about raising chickens. I'd bet they have some coops/materials they'd be willing to bring over. Also, when I was a kid we did all the butchering ourselves. Uncle D could help out and show Josh that its really not as bad as you'd think.
Also, are you thinking about getting the boys involved in 4-H? Raising poultry is a great project!

Sarah Schultz said...

Oooo!!! I would LOVE to be a member of your chicken farm! Buck and I are constantly talking about finding a farm to get eggs and fresh chicken from. Maybe you could charge an annual membership so that it's exclusive :) ha ha!