This is the start of day four of no meds for Camden. Things have been okay so far. Yesterday he refluxed a couple times and I got nervous thinking, here we go. If he starts to choke more or get hoarse sounding, raspy breathing, he’s back on the meds. That is always a sign that he’s refluxing. Camden is the silent refluxer where it doesn’t physically come out. It comes up but goes back down and he chokes on it then. The hoarseness has always been an indicator that his throat is raw from the refluxing.
Our nights are a little better. The crying is less and not as intense. He’s usually still up twice and I will nurse him then. The nighttime nursing is going to be the hardest to wean him from. I was thinking of going cold turkey with the nursing during the day, but that didn’t go too well yesterday. At lunchtime he refused to drink anymore than 1 oz. from the bottle and got really upset with me. He wouldn’t even eat his food either. That’s when my heart just breaks for him. I want to scoop him up, snuggle him and nurse him.
I talked with the chiropractor yesterday about the meds. She agreed with me that it may not be allowing his body to digest the foods, especially when I mentioned the food was going through undigested. She said that wasn’t right and we should definitely try stopping the medicine. It could be doing more damage in the long run. She told us to back off on the foods while we eliminate the medicine. Only give him stuff that’s very easily digested, like strictly breast milk. Hmmm….that makes it hard to wean him. Hee hee! She also said to expect him to get worse before he gets better (sound familiar?). His body is naturally going to produce more acid at first, but allow time for his body to get in balance. He’s probably low in certain vitamins too. Most adults who are on antiacids for a long period of time are nutritionally deficient. This is probably true for Camden. Especially in zinc. We’re going to up his zinc intake and other vitamin intake too. We need to get his body back to where it should be!
I’m praying so hard that this is our answer. Camden doesn’t need to go through anymore. This was supposed to be our better year. Getting off this medicine would be such a HUGE accomplishment.
No comments:
Post a Comment