Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The allergist agrees with me!

Finally, a doctor agrees with me.

The allergist sees no reason to retest for the same allergies that he just tested Camden for five months ago.  He said the same ones would probably show up.  The only difference is there may be a stronger reaction.  Not to mention, allergy testing isn’t 100 percent accurate. 

Our best way to test Camden is by keeping a food dairy.   Write down EVERYTHING he eats, even one bite.  Come up with a diet that we know is safe for him and stick to it.  Introduce one bite of a new food on day one.  If Camden’s fine with it, introduce two bites on day two.  If Camden’s still fine with it,then on day three do a “garbage day.”  Let Camden eat as much as he wants of the new food and offer it at all three meals.  If Camden’s fine, then it’s a new food for him in his diet.  If he has a reaction on any of those days, stop feeding it to him and cross it off the safe foods list.  The allergist talked with me for 45 minutes on how to safely do this.  He was more than willing to test Camden, retest Camden, whatever I wanted to do.  But he didn’t see a reason to put Camden through that again or to run up another bill for us to pay. 

I questioned  him about the chicken Camden had eaten.  He said considering Camden had a strong reaction to egg, then he could have an allergy to  chicken.  There’s  a small percentage of people who have egg allergies and chicken allergies.  I think Camden  may be in that small percentage.  The three nights that have been very bad screaming are nights that Camden had chicken to eat.  Interesting.

Of  course, now I will be writing all of this down so I can just look back in my food dairy and see if there’s a connection.

I also asked him about the food coming through undigested.  He said that can be an allergic reaction to food, but if it continues to happen, then it’s an indication that something more serious is going on.  The body is not getting any of the nutrients from the food then.  Funny that the GI would tell me that is no big deal.  Jeez.  We shall see if the undigested food continues.  I’m praying it’s a side effect from the medicine.   He’s been medicine free for a week!  He’s had some refluxing today but maybe that’s from the allergy food (chicken) he ate yesterday.  Ah ha! See, now I’M getting very clever at figuring things out.   Camden’s going to keep  me on my toes!

No comments: