Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A season of change….

This fall there will be quite some changes for our oldest son. They will be rough changes, and may even hurt, but the end result will be magnificent!

The first change:

On September 30th Isaac will be getting braces. He has a terrible cross bite that they have been trying to fix with his front two teeth for almost two years. They put something called “ramps” on them to extend them and help correct his jaw, but there’s been little change over years when this was supposed to take months. Add to that two of the other front teeth are also behind bottom teeth. So we’re getting nowhere. (Plus he keeps chipping off the enamel from the ramps, but that’s a whole different story!)

So the best solution to this problem (and to avoid worse problems in the future with his jaw) is to put braces on. The braces will be on for six to eight months. So by next summer, he should have a brand new smile!

The second change:

Isaac was referred to an ENT for his large tonsils. The ENT did a scope to look at the tonsils and adenoids and highly recommended they come out very soon. His adenoids are almost completely blocking his nasal passage, which explains his breathing issues and speech problems, and his tonsils are doing the same in his throat.

So on October 26th he will be having a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. If there are no complications (and because he’s older), he will be able to come home the same day.

He has a prescription specifically from the surgeon for two weeks of ice cream (or “rice cream” in his case, or sorbet—no dairy for him) for only him. He is not to share it with anyone because you don’t share your prescriptions. :) And it is the only time I will ever let him eat ice cream for breakfast.

Although the outcome of this surgery will be a very good thing, Isaac is quite nervous about it. Any support, encouragement and prayers are appreciated. He will have to essentially relearn how to talk and will get worse before he gets better.

I keep telling him that he will be a changed boy within a few months time!

1 comment:

Cousin B said...

Since I've had both of those procedures I kinda know the anxiety that Isaac is going through. The relearning to talk isn't bad, it's more of not using your full voice until your throat is completely healed. Also, when I had my surgeries done they were done years apart. My adenoids were removed in Waukesha Mem. when I was 5 & I had no probs with that. My tonsils were removed in an outpatient facility when I was 25 & that took its toll on me since I was so much older than most patients. The only "complication" that I had was getting my voice back to normal after my tonsils were yanked, it took about 2 years for that.

But, Isaac will do fine, I got to lay on the couch & have total control of the TV & ate popsicles all day long (of course I also had soup for protein).