Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Craniosacral Therapy

Some of you have been asking what is this craniosacral therapy stuff that Camden is getting now.  I’ve copied a definition below to help you understand it. 

“CranioSacral Therapy (CST) is a light-touch manual approach that enhances the body’s natural healing capabilities.  The CranioSacral Therapy practitioner works with the patient to assist the body’s self-correcting mechanisms. Generally using about five grams of pressure, or about the weight of a nickel, the practitioner evaluates the body’s craniosacral system. This system plays a vital role of maintaining the environment in which the central nervous system functions. It consists of the membranes and fluid that surround and protect the brain and spinal cord as well as the attached bones – including the skull, face and mouth, which make up the cranium, and the tailbone area, or sacrum. Since the brain and spinal cord are contained within the central nervous system, it is easy to see that the craniosacral system has powerful influence over a wide variety of bodily functions.

The CranioSacral Therapy practitioner essentially helps the body release restrictions – which it has been unable to overcome on its own – that inhibit the body’s normal, self-correcting tendencies. Rather than deciding how these changes should be made, the therapist follows cues from the body on how to proceed. When the therapist follows this gentle approach, the method is extremely safe and effective.”

This was taken from the website:  http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article784.html

 

You may be thinking whoa, that’s weird!  And you’re right, in a way.  If I had not experienced it for myself, I would think this lady was taking money from us and not doing a thing!  I had some cranio work done when I was pregnant with Logan.  I had terrible headaches, tailbone pain, back pain and sciatic pain.  The therapist used pressure point therapy and craniosacral therapy and it did WONDERS for making me feel better and taking the pain away!

Camden had his first therapy session yesterday.  It went well….for a 16-month old.  First off, when you have a craniosacral session, ideally, you should lay still on the table as the therapist plays relaxing  music.  It’s very relaxing and you can fall asleep!  This is very hard to do with a baby however.  Overall, he did okay.  He looked at many books, did puzzles, played with a doll and examined the zipper on a CD case.  It is a challenge to get him to lay, or even sit, still.  The session is about an hour, depending on how Camden cooperates.

The therapist was able to tell me that Camden’s sacrum needs a lot of work.  This is something that the chiropractor has told us, that his sacrum is tipped and one hip is swollen and out or open.  She feels that she can help him, but it will take some work.  It is not something we did; it was something most likely that happened in the womb.  When I think back on my pregnancy with Camden, I was in a lot of pain.  I did not get any therapy or chiropractic treatment to help.  I just dealt with the pain.   Silly, I  know.  I remember so many days of hardly being able to walk,sit or even lay down because I was in such pain.  Crazy how I just put up with the pain.  Anyways, I also remember feeling like something was stuck in my ribs for months and not being able to sleep comfortably.  Camden also did not move a whole lot in the womb, compared to my other babies.  The therapist said they’ve found that the babies who move less in the womb are usually the ones with “issues” once they’re born.  I am starting to believe that Camden was stuck in a position inside me and this caused the sacrum injury. 

This does help to also explain the way in which Camden moves and his lack of movement from the beginning. 

I can home yesterday feeling rather happy about the information I learned and happy that the neurologist appointment was not needed so much anymore.  I mean, neurologically speaking,  he’s fine!  It’s not in his brain.  Right?

The more I kept thinking about this, the more questions I got…..again. 

Okay, so if I believe the way Camden  moves is due to a tipped sacrum, the craniosacral therapy and chiropractor care will help with that.  But is one little boy really cursed with a tipped sacrum, weak muscles, numerous food allergies/insensitivities, yeast problems AND persistant reflux?!?!?!?!?  Is that possible???  I mean, how could HE get all those issues?  Are all those issues related in some way? 

So I feel like I’m kind of back to square one in a way. 

The chiropractor did tell me that we need to do all we can to get both sides of his brain working.  She recommended a few books, one is Brain Gym, that gives exercises to do that will stimulate both sides of the brain.  Using one side of the brain more than the other will only lead to problems down the road; learning disabilities, dyslexia, reading & writing problems, etc.   As a homeschooling mom, I do NOT want to deal with that, nor do I want Camden to deal with that.

I can see where the food allergies would come from, and even the yeast issues if I really ponder, but I’m still stumped with the weak muscles and the roller coaster of reflux we’ve been on.  Why, why, why???

On a happier  note, I am so thrilled with his physical therapy progress in the last few days.  He just feels so much stronger!!!  Especially when I think back to where he was just a week ago….going backwards.  Ugh.  That was awful.  I think the progress or lack of progress is directly related to how Camden is feeling.  Last night he pulled himself up by the chair, turned around and then balanced without holding on.  He had a huge smile on his face as he then tried to take one step.  Woohoo!!!  Ms. Heather, his PT, said she could easily see him walking by Christmas!!!!  I want to burst into tears when I think about that.  I called Joshua immediately and we both agreed that would be THE BEST present for us.  Come on, Camden! You can do it.

No comments: